The RHYL Children’s Theater Club is in its 78th year, but it far exceeds the history of the Rhyl Little Theater.
During the Second World War the Manchester Repertory Theater Company was evacuated from Manchester to the Pavilion Theater on Rhyl promenade.
Among them was a young actor, Joseph Holroyd, who asked the director of the Rep Company if he would be able to lead acting classes for Rhyl’s youth.
The first lessons took place in the lounge bar upstairs in the Theater on a Saturday morning in 1944.
Within twelve months, the membership of the Children’s Theater Club (as it became known) had exceeded 200 children.
The Club moved into what was the First Little Theater in the 1950s, occupying a small stage with only fifty seats upstairs in an Abbey Street warehouse.
In 1961 the site was demolished to make way for the first purpose-built children’s theater in the UK – Rhyl Little Theater on Vale Road, where it has flourished since 1963.